Skip to content

Fixing a bug in pypfilt

Author: Rob Moss (rgmoss@unimelb.edu.au)

Project: pypfilt, a bootstrap particle filter for Python

Date: 27 October 2021

Overview

I introduced a bug when I modified a function in my pypfilt package, and only detected the bug after I had created several more commits.

To resolve this bug, I had to:

1. Notice the bug;

2. Identify the cause of the bug;

3. Write a test case to check whether the bug is present; and

4. Fix the bug.

Notice the bug

I noticed that a regression test1 was failing: re-running a set of model simulations was no longer generating the same output. The results had changed, but none of my recent commits should have had this effect.

I should have noticed this when I created the commit that introduced this bug, but:

• I had not pushed the most recent commits to the upstream repository, where all of the test cases are run automatically every time a new commit is pushed; and

• I had not run the test cases on my laptop after making each of the recent commits, because this takes a few minutes and I was lazy.

Identify the cause of the bug

I knew that the bug had been introduced quite recently, and I knew that it affected a specific function: earlier_states(). Running git blame src/pypfilt/state.py indicated that the recent commit 408b5f1 was a likely culprit, because it changed many lines in this function.

In particular, I suspected the bug was occurring in the following loop, which steps backwards in time and handles the case where model simulations are reordered:

# Start with the parent indices for the current particles, which allow us
# to look back one time-step.
parent_ixs = np.copy(hist['prev_ix'][ix])

# Continue looking back one time-step, and only update the parent indices
# at time-step T if the particles were resampled at time-step T+1.
for i in range(1, steps):
    step_ix = ix - i
    if hist['resampled'][step_ix + 1, 0]:
        parent_ixs = hist['prev_ix'][step_ix, parent_ixs]

In stepping through this code, I identified that the following line was incorrect:

if hist['resampled'][step_ix + 1, 0]:

and that changing step_ix + 1 to step_ix should fix the bug.

Note: I could have used git bisect to identify the commit that introduced this bug, but running all of the test cases for each commit is relatively time-consuming; since I knew that the bug had been introduced quite recently, I chose to use git blame.

Write a test case

I wrote a test case test_earlier_state() that called this earlier_states() function a number of times, and checked that each set of model simulations were returned in the correct order.

This test case checks that:

1. If the model simulations were not reordered, the original ordering is always returned;

2. If the model simulations were reordered at some time t_0, the original ordering is returned for times t < t_0; and

3. If the model simulations were reordered at some time t_0, the new ordering is returned for times t >= t_0.

This test case failed when I reran the testing pipeline, which indicated that it identified the bug.

Fix the bug

With the test case now written, I was able to verify that that changing step_ix + 1 to step_ix did fix the bug.

I added the test case and the bug fix in commit 9dcf621.

In the commit message I indicated:

1. Where the bug was located: the earlier_states() function;

2. When the bug was introduced: commit 408b5f1; and

3. Why the bug was not detected when I created commit 408b5f1.

1. A regression test checks that a commit hasn't changed an existing behaviour or functionality.